The Slate Valley Museum offers an exciting range of programs, exhibitions, and special events that share its mission to collect, catalog, conserve, exhibit, and interpret materials, artifacts, machines, and information that demonstrate the geology of slate and the history of slate quarrying and the quarrying community in the Slate Valley of New York and Vermont.
- exhibits of historic artifacts from the area's renowned slate quarries and mills
- displays revealing the science and art of slate quarrying, and its influence on the culture of the Slate Valley
- a quarry shanty, complete with all the machinery and tools used in traditional slate quarrying
- a geological display illustrating the natural history of slate
- examples of how slate has been used in the structure and decor of local buildings and as inspiration for artworks in various media
- documentary images of local slate quarries
Visit our programs page for more information or "like" us on Facebook. We list information and updates about our events frequently on our Facebook "events" page.
Help SVM Through Websearching
Goodsearch donates a penny to the Slate Valley Museum from each search.
For more information:
Slate Valley Museum
17 Water Street
Granville, NY 12832
The Slate Valley Museum offers a variety of education programming for all ages. Please visit our education page for more information about our education programming.
To discuss bringing your class to the Slate Valley Museum, please contact:
The Museum is temporarily closed until April 19, 2020